The USB3 to Mini PCI-E adapter enclosure is a useful device for connecting a cellular Mini PCI-E modem card (i.e., Sierra Wireless MC7455, MC7354…, Telit LM960, LM940…) behind a PC or router via a USB3.0 or USB2.0 port.
The enclosure’s SIM Card slot is equipped with ESD protection and uses a Standard (full size) SIM Card. Its cases has six (6) different antenna cutout slots (2 on the front, 4 on the back) to accommodate most applications to include 4 x 4 MIMO modem installation.
The USB 3.0 A Male to Micro-B Male plug (AM-Micro BM) provides a durable and solid connection to the enclosure. The data power cable is 15.75 inches long and may be extended with the use of quality USB 3.0 extension cables.
USB3.0 (4.8Gbps) boasts of providing Ten Times the capability of USB 2.0. It also provides 900mA power as opposed to 500mA utilized thru USB 2.0. Type A connectors are are backwards compatible to USB 2.0 and/or USB 1.1.
The PCB is engineered with the industry inductance and an independent power capacitor and is equipped with an extra Micro USB power port for applications where additional (dual) power is required.
It accepts a wide range of DC input voltage from 5V-27V with a maximum output of 3.3V/3A (9W) to accommodate even the most power intensive M.2 modems.
The enclosure may be used on a desktop or mounted to a wall. It uses the industry standard SMA Male cellular antennas (purchased separately, see antenna options below), and includes two U.FL to SMA Female Bulkhead Connector (1.13 cables) pigtails to connect the modem to the antennas.
Modems equipped with MHF4 connectors (i.e., Telit LM960), MHF4 to SMA Female Bulkhead Connector pigtails are required.
Compatible Cellular Omni SMA Male Antennas:
- 700-2700MHz Cradlepoint 3.5dBi 4G LTE Omni Flat Antenna with SMA Male Connector (Requires Two)
- 698-2700MHz Cradlepoint 3dBi 4G LTE Omni Flat Antenna with SMA Male Connectors (PAIR)
- 700-2700MHz Rectangular 3.5dBi-4dBi 4G LTE Omni Antenna with SMA Male Connectors (PAIR)
- 700-2700MHz Rotating 3.5dBi–4dBi 4G LTE Flat Omni Antenna with SMA Male Connectors (PAIR)
- 700-2700MHz Round 3dBi 4G LTE Omni Antenna with SMA Male Connectors (PAIR)
- 698-2700MHz Remote 4.5dBi 4G LTE Omni with SMA Male Connectors (PAIR)
- When extending the USB3.0 cable use only large diameter and quality cable to prevent voltage drop which can and will lead to disconnect issues.
- When adding antennas, select the SMA antenna upgrades. The RP-SMA will not work without installing U.FL connector to RP-SMA bulkhead connector pigtails.
- When using a SIM Card adapter (i.e., micro to standard, etc), take precaution that the SIM card fits “freely” and flat into the adapter. In other words, you should not have to force the SIM card into the adapter. A SIM card that is too tight, when installed in the SIM slot, can rise and cause a misalignment between the adapter pins and SIM card. All tits/nubs on the side of the SIM card should be sanded smooth. This is easily done with a laying a nail file/emery board/piece of sand paper flat on table top, and working the SIM card evenly across until smooth.
- This USB adapter will not work on the M2 modem cards (i.e., Sierra Wireless EM series cards). The USB to M2 adapter enclosure must be used.
- In order for a Windows based PC to recognize a Sierra Wireless modem card, regardless of how it is being attached, the Sierra Wireless Windows drivers must first be installed on the Windows device. Refer to our LTE FIX IT Series tutorial
- 1 x USB 3.0 to Mini PCI-E PCB and Enclosure
- 1 x USB3.0 to Micro-B Male 15.75 Inch power Cable
- 2 x U.FL to SMA Female Bulkhead connector 1.13 pigtails
- 4 x PCB Screws
- 4 x Case Screws
- 2 x Modem Screws
Example of Four Antenna Installation